Monday 31 March 2014

Being a Fat Woman Questionnaire


My friend Ella recently answered this questionnaire that was put to 2 plus size women by Cosmo, The article names 'What being a fat woman is really like' talks about body image and general life around being fat. Ella took the inspiration to answer these questions herself from her friend Michaela and given that I am resolved to be more honest I have decided to answer the questions as well.
 
How do you feel when other women around you complain about feeling/being fat?
I have no qualms with it at all. We all have issues with our bodies from extra fat to things such as blemishes or skin issues.

How has your body image changed since high school? College?
For me I have always been fat. Even when I was little. I have gotten bigger with the years and this has lead to finding new ways of looking good in bigger clothes, but being big is the normal for me.

Have you tried dieting? What happened?
Yes, far too many times. I lost 6 stone 8 years ago and spent the next 6 years putting it all back on. Mostly I get bored. I try to eat a varied diet and not to cut out on chocolate or crisps completely because previous diets have taught me that it leads me to binge eat my weight in these items. I am currently dieting and slowly loosing weight. Right now I'm just looking to maintain my weight and not get any heavier again.

Do you think in your case your weight is partly or entirely genetic?
Who knows? I'd love to say genetic as half my family is bigger and half is normal. But I think that I just love my food too much and am quite a boredom eater.

Do you consider yourself healthy? Have there been instances where people assumed you were unhealthy?
I am healthy in the terms that I don't have too many medical conditions and none that are solely attributed to my weight. However I am unfit, I have an active job doing lots of walking around but when it comes to stairs, running or any other activities I get out of breath pretty quickly. Flip side is that due to my job I have lots of stamina when it comes to walking.

Are your parents both supportive of you at the weight you're at? Have they always been?
Nothing has ever really been said apart from when I was a child and they could still control me to a certain point. I think they are happy as long as I am and though they may think that me loosing weight is good it has never been said.

How do you think retailers can improve clothes for plus-size people?
Mostly, just keeping the same shapes instead of changing them and causing drowning withing the material.

Do you think plus-size women are judged differently than plus-sized men are? How?
Most Definitely. I think the main problem is the media and their constant haranguing of any celeb that does not eat celery 5 times a day. I also think that as a male dominated society (sorry but its true, women have come a long way and will get equal right in the end, however we are still second to men in a lot of ways) we are more accepting of a man and their choices.

Do you think there’s an assumption made/stereotype that exists about plus-size people? How would you respond to it?
The main one that always annoys me is that we are lazy. Its the same of all sizes, some are lazy and some are normal and some are really active. I hate the judge a book by its cover (skin) mentality. We are all different, not just in our personalities but also in our lives. I think that we are also seen as disgusting a lot of the time and get told that we can't do this or that, such as wearing a bikini. Why not? if a big man can wear shorts with his belly hanging over it why can't we. Everyone, no matter size has the right to do what they want without fear or bullying.

Do you think there’s ever a right way or time to express concern about someone’s weight?
I think it depends on the person. Some people like to told and others would rather not. I don't think I would ever comment unless asked though.

What are the worst things people have said to you about your body?
From being bullied about weight all through school I have heard them all. Titanic Tina was always my personal fav.

How did you respond?
I tend not to think about or worry about it. Even now if I walk past a bunch of teenagers that have a comment on their tongues I either come back with a retort or I carry on walking. It does not worry me. My mother always said that I can loose the weight but they will be forever ugly on the inside.

What have people said (or do you wish they’d say) that would compliment your body or appearance?
I've had compliments say I have nice eyes, boobs, skin, teeth. But I guess its hard to believe. I've never really been able to take a compliment so I say thank you and move on.

Do you find yourself hanging out with women who are closer to your size?
I wouldn't say so. I've had friends with all different body sizes. I like to connect with people on the merit of who they are and not what they look like. That's how I have found my closest friends.

How has your weight affected your sex life, if at all? 
Ah sex. This is truly a subject that I'm not comfortable talking about. I like sex to be private and intimate and where I have never had a large sex drive I will say that even as I got bigger things have not ever changed in that area.

When you've been single, has your weight affected your dating life?
When I was in school I will say yes. But once I left and started having fun and being free then no. I've pretty much fallen into every relationship without looking for one.

Do you feel weird if the guy you’re with only dates larger women?
No, We all have our little likes and dislikes. I think it's just what you like, some men like blond hair others like long legs. As long as the person wasn't dismissive of slim women and liked me for who I was then it would not be a problem.

Do you feel weird if he's only dated slimmer women before you?
Again no. There may be a simple factor to do with humour that he'd only ever found in slimmer women before. Who knows? All I care about is that he likes me, treats me right and wouldn't compare me to the previous women.

No comments:

Post a Comment